At the Center for the Functional Restoration of the Spine, we empathize with the challenges posed by persistent pain and its impact on your daily life. This is why we provide cutting-edge pain management injections, including lumbar facet joint block injections, tailored to help you regain control and discover relief from the burdensome pain that hampers your well-being.
Could Facet Joint Injections Be Right for You?
A facet joint injection, or facet block, is a non-surgical procedure in which a combination anesthetic/steroid is delivered directly into a facet joint in the spine that may be causing back or neck pain.
The purpose of the anesthetic is to ease the pain; the steroid to relieve inflammation. The procedure also may be used as a diagnostic tool to determine whether the facet joint is the cause of the pain.
More Facts About the Facet Joints
- Facet joints connect the vertebrae and provide stability and flexibility of the spine.
- There are two facet joints between each pair of vertebrae, one on each side.
- Cartilage in the joints allows for smooth movement where vertebral bones meet.
- Facet joints link each vertebra to those directly above and below it and allow the vertebral bodies to rotate with respect to each other.
- Each facet joint is lined with a thin membrane called the synovium, which produces synovial fluid for lubrication.
There are a variety of spinal conditions that may cause pain and irritation of the facet joints. They include:
- Facet joint syndrome
- Spinal stenosis
- Disc herniation
A facet injection is typically recommended for patients with radiating pain, and whose symptoms have not responded to other conservative therapies, such as
- Exercise/activity modification
- Physical therapy
Ready to Learn More?
Don't hesitate to reach out to us today to arrange a consultation at one of our convenient locations in Edison, Shrewsbury, or Toms River, New Jersey. Allow us to help you break free from back and neck pain with minimally invasive treatments with proven results.